Co-sponsor liabilities for immigrant

North Palm Beach, FL |

I'm asked to co-sponsor with my brother for his wife to come to the U.S. We are both U.S. Citizens. Being a co-sponsor
1) what if she incurs medical bills, somehow gets approved for public aid, bank loans, etc. and can't repay it and she gets sued by collection agencies/companies to whom she owes monies to-how does that affect me as a co-sponsor?
2) If I get married and "something happens" where I get sued because she owes some kind of public aid/debt, how does that affect my husband's finances? Can the govt go after his monies too?

Illinois (co-sponsor), Florida (main sponsor (husband to immigrant wife)

In response to David Nabow Soloway's reply: (First thank you for your reply) How would the immigrant ever be approved for needs-based public assistance to begin with if her need for such public aid is based on my income to begin with? Thanks.

The financial obligations of a sponsor (co/joint sponsor or otherwise) are generlly limited to safeguarding the U.S. government from having to provide needs-based public assistance to the alien for a period of 40 quarters or until the alien may become a U.S. citizen. The sponsor's obligations are not owed to banks or other ordinary creditors of the alien, and the obligation is specific to the person who signs the Affidavit of Support and does not extend to the spouse of the sponsor.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
1800 Century Place, Suite 100
Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

what is the maximum dollar amount a sponsor or co-sponsor can be obligated to pay if the immigrant can not support himself?

David Nabow Soloway

David Nabow Soloway

Generally, the sponsor/co-sponsor agrees to safeguard the government from having to pay needs-based support by showing an ability to maintain the beneficiary at 125% of the published Poverty Level for the applicable family size.

if the sponsor is a spouse and there r no kids then what is the maximum dollar amy the sponsor or co-sponsor could be obligated to pay?

David Nabow Soloway

David Nabow Soloway

Information about the obligations may be found on the Affidavit of Support form, and the published Poverty Guidelines may be found through the USCIS.gov website. If you may be interested in engaging our immigration law firm to provide legal assistance, including detailed analysis of the situation you describe, then I invite you to call our firm and schedule an appointment.

i can't seem to find any specific dollar amt on the websites. i just want to know what the maximum could b for 2 persons with no dependents. r we talking 5k, 20k, 100k, how much??