Co-sponsor liabilities for immigrant

Asked over 4 years ago - North Palm Beach, FL

I'm asked to co-sponsor with my brother for his wife to come to the U.S. We are both U.S. Citizens. Being a co-sponsor
1) what if she incurs medical bills, somehow gets approved for public aid, bank loans, etc. and can't repay it and she gets sued by collection agencies/companies to whom she owes monies to-how does that affect me as a co-sponsor?
2) If I get married and "something happens" where I get sued because she owes some kind of public aid/debt, how does that affect my husband's finances? Can the govt go after his monies too?

Illinois (co-sponsor), Florida (main sponsor (husband to immigrant wife)

In response to David Nabow Soloway's reply: (First thank you for your reply) How would the immigrant ever be approved for needs-based public assistance to begin with if her need for such public aid is based on my income to begin with? Thanks.

1. David Nabow Soloway

Answered . The financial obligations of a sponsor (co/joint sponsor or otherwise) are generlly limited to safeguarding the U.S. government from having to provide needs-based public assistance to the alien for a period of 40 quarters or until the alien may become a U.S. citizen. The sponsor's obligations are not owed to banks or other ordinary creditors of the alien, and the obligation is specific to the person who signs the Affidavit of Support and does not extend to the spouse of the sponsor.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com