Co-habitating in AZ for 8+ years in his house. Claims I get nothing but my clothes if I ever leave. What about gifts (jewelry)?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

Engaged, pre-nup in place but no intentions to marry. I pay for all my own expenses/bills, paid legal fees for pre-nup and would like to be reimbursed out of principle. Also, could a pre-nup be enforced even if marriage never took place? Had provisions for pay-out which increase the longer the relationship lasts. 1-3 years = $10,000, 4-7 years = $20,000, 8-10 years = $35,000 and so on.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Anne Brady

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You can take anything you owned before you moved in with him, anything you purchased personally during the relationship and any gifts that were given to you as such by him or by anyone else. You can not enforce a prenup if marriage never took place. Not if it truly was a pre-nup. If it was an agreement on how much you would get from that date forward, based on how long you lived together, that is another matter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,901 answers this week

2,867 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,901 answers this week

2,867 attorneys answering