Co executor in Kansas won't pay beneficiary in Michigan

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lansing, MI

My father died dec 2008 and my brother and step sister were named co executors. She lives in Kansas and my brother and I live in Michigan. The estate was closed this past January. Kansas law requires estate to be closed before final settlement. Now she won't pay us. What advice do you have for me?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Attorney Shultz is correct. A harshly-written letter from an experienced Kansas probate attorney may push your step-sister to do her duty as an executor. If not, your newly-retained attorney will get the probate court involved. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The other attorneys are correct. The court in Kansas has jurisdiction. You should not delay in consulting an attorney as there may be statutes of limitation which could bar the claim after a certain period of time.

    This answer is intended to provide legal information, not legal advice. Legal advice should be provided by... more
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to contact a probate attorney in Kansas to take appropriate action.

    The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Use avvo to find a probate attorney in Kansas don't sit on this.

  5. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The proper court is the court that handled the estate, whether in Kansas or elsewhere. Other than that, I agree with the other answers you have received. You need to find a probate lawyer in the county where the court is located. Time is of the essence.

    I am licensed to practice law in Michigan and Virginia and regularly handle cases of this sort. You should not... more

Related Topics

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.

Executor of will

The executor of a will is the person in charge of finalizing the deceased's estate (paying bills, etc.) and distributing the estate according to the will.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now