Client is Harassing Me: Pulling Down My Web Site; Third Party Contacts. What Can I Do?

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

I agreed to do work for before getting paid (I've learned my lesson).

I attempted to collect many times via emails. After several months, she said she was unhappy with one aspect of the work completed. I said I would look into it as a favor but need to be paid for the work already complete.

She Has:
--Had a third party contact me several times demanding the work to be done.
--Emailed me and called me 30 times.
--Had a lawyer send a threatening letter.
--Turned off my web sites claiming copyright violation.

I feel unsafe and think that she is purposely attempting to ruin my business and is causing me many additional hours of work to respond to her claims.

What can I do? The amount she owes is very small, but I think she is disrupting my way to earn a living

1. Brenton Daniel Vincenzes

Pro

1

Answered . You should find an attorney who can advocate for you. In some states it is a civil cause of action if someone is interfering with your business. Also, defamation might be an issue to explore with your lawyer. Contact a civil attorney. That would be my recommendation.

2. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

Answered . The issue of your pay for your work is a contract issue. If you had a contract you need to look at that, if not, general contract law will apply.

If this person is interfering with your business you have a legal cause of action known as tortuous interference.

If you are getting threatening letters from a lawyer, then you need a lawyer to present your side.

All in all, my best advice for you is to hire a lawyer to represent you.