Cleaning out a house for CT Title 19 Recipient

Manchester, CT |

My mother-in-law is a Medicaid Title 19 recipient living in a nursing home as a ward of the State. Her home needs to be sold and proceeds given to State. This house is loaded with stuff that my in-laws have accumulated over the past 50 years. It would take my wife and I a week to clean it out along with 5 dumpsters at $700 each. We don't have the time or money. Realtor has said we can sell house "as is, where is". Because of the structural and mechanical problems the home would most likely go to a cash investor anyway. My wife's friends have told her she must clean out the house completely as it is her responsibility. They say they have experienced similar situations. Who do we believe???

1. You're probably well advised to not take advise from well-intentioned friends. You are under no legal obligation to clean out your mother's house. However, if it is approach properly with proper documentation you can be reasonably compensated for the work involved. Without knowing more than once in your statement I cannot begin to tell you exactly how to proceed, but if you contact us will be happy to be with you and assist you in figuring out the best way to proceed. Our contact information is in the paragraph below.

Attorney Weatherby is licensed to practice law in Connecticut and three other states with an office in Bloomfield. His phone number is 860-769 6938 and his email address is hank@weatherby-associates.com .

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This response is only for general informational purposes. It is limited to only provide general information about the matter asked by the question. Virtually always the question does contain all of the necessary facts that if provided could significantly alter the information provided and result in the reply being inappropriate. I strongly suggest the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state with experience in the subject matter of the question so that proper legal advice may be provided.

By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney providing an answer. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state, who is familiar with all of your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. Law changes frequently and can differ greatly from one state to another. The answers provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance identified by the question or not contained in the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - No information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Attorney Weatherby is licensed to practice law in Connecticut and three other states with an office in Bloomfield. His phone number is 860-769 6938 and his email address is hank@weatherby-associates.com <mailto:hank@weatherby-associates.com>. LEGAL DISCLAIMER This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This response is only for general informational purposes. It is limited to only provide general information about the matter asked by the question. Virtually always the question does contain all of the necessary facts that if provided could significantly alter the information provided and result in the reply being inappropriate. I strongly suggest the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state with experience in the subject matter of the question so that proper legal advice may be provided. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney providing an answer. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state, who is familiar with all of your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. Law changes frequently and can differ greatly from one state to another. The answers provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance identified by the question or not contained in the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Wills and estates topics