Skip to main content

Class B Misdemeanor for Theft in Texas. First Offense. What should I plea and ask for?

Houston, TX |

I just turned 18 and I was caught shoplifting along with two other people. They counted our merchandise all together which was $229 total. But they charged me with theft, not conspiracy. The item in my possession cost $80. I was bonded out and have court in a week.

I have been looking up what could possibly happen but I would like to know what can happen in my case, or at least the possibilities. My fiance's sister is a cop and said I most likely will just be fined. I was told I should plead no contest.

I need some more professional opinions on what to do though, considering I am pregnant and don’t want to be in jail. Trust me, I know this was a mistake and I need to get away from these influences. If someone could please take their time to answer this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Attorney Answers 3


DO NOT under any circumstances plead guilty to a theft and pay a fine. You will regret it the rest of your life. A theft conviction will follow you all your life and could prevent you from getting an apartment, a good job, getting many types of professional licenses, etc., etc. You may not realize it now but this could very costly for you later on.

You must get a lawyer to review the case to make sure the state can prove you did it. If the evidence is strongly against you, there are other ways to prevent a final conviction. Deferred adjudication, special expense, pre-trial diversion; all of these may prevent a final conviction for a theft.

Do yourself a big favor and spend the money on a good lawyer. The court will appoint you an attorney if you cannot afford one. Better to spend money now and get a good criminal lawyer. Do not get a lawyer who only dabbles in criminal defense, get one who does it full time who can advise you better.

Mark as helpful


I agree. You will regret a decision to plead guilty. That can never be expunged off you record. Other options are a pre-trial diversion or a deferred probation. With either result, you can either get your record expunged or sealed. Good luck!

Mark as helpful


Theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and a conviction (or even a straight probation) for theft can have many negative consequences, including the inability to get a job (who would trust a thief?), the inability to get housing, enhanced punishment if you get in trouble again, and impeachment if you are in a lawsuit in the future.

You need to hire a lawyer who can help you get the best possible outcome. While it is not likely you will get a straight-up dismissal, it is possible that you can get a pre-trial diversion or, at the very least, a deferred adjudication probation.

Do NOT listen to your fiance's sister. A final conviction is NOT what you want because it will stay with you forever.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics