Class action settlement living in a subsidy apartment

My class action suit was per approved and goes on tomorrow . In in housing court with my landlord for a holdover / nuisance case but already signed the lease which says we are good until 9 / 2013 but they have taken our section 8 and we are fighting to get that back . I was wondering do I need to tell them about the income if I use all the money to pay off credit cards and stuff ? I was told something like if I signed the lease and I didn't get the money as of yet they cant say anything because In not technically hiding anything , I have about 13 coming to me and have about 10-k in credit card debt . Is this considered an income and can they take away my subsidy for this one time award from back wages they stole in the past thats being given to me now ?

New York, NY -

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Personal Injury Lawyer - Poughkeepsie, NY

You sound like you are hiding information from social services about a potential settlement. You are required to recertify every 6 mos. for assistance, which you are apparently getting. Failure to disclose is a felony in the circumstances you suggest. You should consult a public defender for advice and you are very foolish to publicly post these details instead of consulting with an attorney.

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - New York, NY

Dear tenant?

Housing Court does not have jurisdiction in a class action litigation. Do you mean a consolidated trial or a 7A proceeding, or a group tenant HP Proceeding?

Any information may help.

Thank you.

David B Pittman

David B Pittman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Fort Myers, FL

Do you have a lawyer helping you with this? If so you need to ask them this question. I am not sure what you are asking here as it applies to class action law. Please clarify.

Related Advice