Class action settlement living in a subsidy apartment

New York, NY |

My class action suit was per approved and goes on tomorrow . In in housing court with my landlord for a holdover / nuisance case but already signed the lease which says we are good until 9 / 2013 but they have taken our section 8 and we are fighting to get that back . I was wondering do I need to tell them about the income if I use all the money to pay off credit cards and stuff ? I was told something like if I signed the lease and I didn't get the money as of yet they cant say anything because In not technically hiding anything , I have about 13 coming to me and have about 10-k in credit card debt . Is this considered an income and can they take away my subsidy for this one time award from back wages they stole in the past thats being given to me now ?

Do you have a lawyer helping you with this? If so you need to ask them this question. I am not sure what you are asking here as it applies to class action law. Please clarify.

a holdover case can they ask if im getting a settlement? and once a lease is signed and u receive money After for a lawsuit is that hiding ur income if you dont tell them about the lawsuit and use it to pay off all ur credit cards?

David B Pittman

David B Pittman

I would look at Mr. Caviglia's answer.

You sound like you are hiding information from social services about a potential settlement. You are required to recertify every 6 mos. for assistance, which you are apparently getting. Failure to disclose is a felony in the circumstances you suggest. You should consult a public defender for advice and you are very foolish to publicly post these details instead of consulting with an attorney.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Dear tenant?

Housing Court does not have jurisdiction in a class action litigation. Do you mean a consolidated trial or a 7A proceeding, or a group tenant HP Proceeding?

Any information may help.

Thank you.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

no I mean in a holdover case can they ask if im getting a settlement? and once a lease is signed and u receive money After for a lawsuit is that hiding ur income if you dont tell them about the lawsuit and use it to pay off all ur credit cards?

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

Sure sounds deceptive and you should discuss potential consequences of this plan in a confidential setting with your own attorney.

Landlord-tenant topics