Class A Misd. Criminal Mischief...what will happen?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Austin, TX

Essentially, my boyfriend cheated on me. A door was allegedly broken down by me. Arrested for damaging the door. What will happen? I know at worst $4k fine and one year in jail. I don't want to do jail time. What would my options be? I don't have the $4k lump sum. Would a payment plan work out..? Or community service? My first offense.

1. Martin Ben Zimmerman

4

Answered . You need to speak with a criminal defense attorney. You have been properly advised of the statutory range of punishment which is just what is "on paper." An attorney can help you work your way through the minefield that is the Travis County Courts and work to help you keep your record clean. Depending on the outcome, you may even be able to avoid criminal charges or get your arrest removed from your record. The time to call is now.

2. Richard Timothy Jones

4

Answered . I have been practicing in Austin for 20 years. In my experience with this type of situation I have been able to help my clients avoid jail time and in many cases avoid a conviction. People almost never get assessed a fine over $500.

www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    512-495-1813
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer

3. Diana Elizabeth Buss

Pro

4

Answered . More than likely if you pay restitution (an amount to repair the door or replace it), you may be able to get it dismissed after that. You should definitely contact a local attorney to discuss your case and options. By the way, Travis county offers payment plans for fines and court costs.

4. Bobby Dale Barina

3

Answered . You should hire an attorney to help you with this situation. If you cannot afford an attorney you can request that one be appointed to you. Considering that you have not been in trouble before it is unlikely that you would receive a large fine. You should speak to your attorney about resolving the case for a deferred adjudication probation so you will not have a finding of guilt on your record.
    You have options that a local attorney can help you with. Good luck

5. David Daniel White

Pro

Answered . With no criminal history, a good attorney will put you in a position to get your case dismissed and minimize fines, fees, etc. Feel free to call my office for a consultation.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737