Skip to main content

Class A Misd. Criminal Mischief...what will happen?

Austin, TX |

Essentially, my boyfriend cheated on me. A door was allegedly broken down by me. Arrested for damaging the door. What will happen? I know at worst $4k fine and one year in jail. I don't want to do jail time. What would my options be? I don't have the $4k lump sum. Would a payment plan work out..? Or community service? My first offense.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You need to speak with a criminal defense attorney. You have been properly advised of the statutory range of punishment which is just what is "on paper." An attorney can help you work your way through the minefield that is the Travis County Courts and work to help you keep your record clean. Depending on the outcome, you may even be able to avoid criminal charges or get your arrest removed from your record. The time to call is now.

    Martin Zimmerman, P.C. 189 E. San Antonio St. P.O. Box 310704 New Braunfels, Texas 78131-0704 Tel: (830) 606-7886 Fax: (830) 627-2890 The information contained in and transmitted with this e-mail is: 1) Subject to the Attorney-Client Privilege; 2) Attorney Work Product; or 3) Confidential It is intended only for the individual or entity designated above. Any distribution, copying, use of, or reliance upon the information contained in and transmitted with this facsimile by or to anyone other than the recipient designated above by the sender is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Martin Zimmerman, P.C. by telephone

  2. I have been practicing in Austin for 20 years. In my experience with this type of situation I have been able to help my clients avoid jail time and in many cases avoid a conviction. People almost never get assessed a fine over $500.
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

  3. You should hire an attorney to help you with this situation. If you cannot afford an attorney you can request that one be appointed to you. Considering that you have not been in trouble before it is unlikely that you would receive a large fine. You should speak to your attorney about resolving the case for a deferred adjudication probation so you will not have a finding of guilt on your record.
    You have options that a local attorney can help you with. Good luck

    Bobby Barina's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Barina offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call his office at 254-699-3755 to make an appointment or visit his website at for more information about his services.

  4. More than likely if you pay restitution (an amount to repair the door or replace it), you may be able to get it dismissed after that. You should definitely contact a local attorney to discuss your case and options. By the way, Travis county offers payment plans for fines and court costs.

  5. With no criminal history, a good attorney will put you in a position to get your case dismissed and minimize fines, fees, etc. Feel free to call my office for a consultation.

    Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics