Class A marijuana possession and given 2 years probation

Chicago, IL |

I thought I was getting 1 year of probation but instead got 2 years for the class a misdemanor. I thought because the punishment was a max of 1 year the judge could only give me max of 1 year probation. how did they give me 2, isnt that illegal?

Yes, you can get two years probation. One year is the max for a jail sentence.

The maxum jail sentence available for a misdemeanor is set by statute; a different statute sets the maximum period of probation.

The 2 years probation is legal.

Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney before acting. Law Offices of Raymond G. Wigell, Ltd. Defenders of the Constitution since 1975/ Aggressive Creative Defense Strategies/ Website: 24/7 --(708) 481-4800.

David Scott Olshansky

David Scott Olshansky

I have to disagree... It is not a different Statute, it is in the same statute that sets the sentencing range and probation term... 730 ILCS 5/5-4.5-55

Class A Misdemeanors... defined by Illinois Statute 730 ILCS 5/5-4.5-55 ... more information and links on our website.
Misdemeanor Sentencing Ranges:

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI