Civil union vs marriage in New Jersey?

Stanhope, NJ |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

My boyfriend and I were talking about having a civil union as opposed to being married. (we are a heterosexual couple). We aren't religious and feel that marriage has a definite religious undertone. In NJ, what rights we would have if we were to get a civil union? What rights would we not have? Would he legally be called my husband? What about taxes, etc? Could I share his health insurance plan through his job?

"Civil unions" were created by statute for SAME SEX couples.

You and your boyfriend cannot get a "Civil Union." You must either get married--or not.

Marriage does not have to have "a definite religious undertone." Just get married in a civil ceremony--not in a church/synagogue, etc.

In NJ, marriages can be performed by (among others) Superior Court or Municipal Court Judges, court, County Surrogates, County Clerks, Mayors or Township Committee Charpersons.

You just need to get a license first. In NJ, the license can be issued by the licensing officer in the municipality in which either your boyfriend or you resides, as long as one of you resides in NJ.

DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups