Civil union vs marriage in New Jersey?

Asked 11 months ago - Stanhope, NJ

My boyfriend and I were talking about having a civil union as opposed to being married. (we are a heterosexual couple). We aren't religious and feel that marriage has a definite religious undertone. In NJ, what rights we would have if we were to get a civil union? What rights would we not have? Would he legally be called my husband? What about taxes, etc? Could I share his health insurance plan through his job?

1. David F Salvaggio

Answered . "Civil unions" were created by statute for SAME SEX couples.

You and your boyfriend cannot get a "Civil Union." You must either get married--or not.

Marriage does not have to have "a definite religious undertone." Just get married in a civil ceremony--not in a church/synagogue, etc.

In NJ, marriages can be performed by (among others) Superior Court or Municipal Court Judges, court, County Surrogates, County Clerks, Mayors or Township Committee Charpersons.

You just need to get a license first. In NJ, the license can be issued by the licensing officer in the municipality in which either your boyfriend or you resides, as long as one of you resides in NJ.