Skip to main content

Civil Rights Reinstated

Tinley Park, IL |

When I was 19 I received a Criminal Property Damage Felony [A School], $3000 restitution and 1 yr Probation. Went on to serve 20yrs in the military [waiver] awarded 5 Good Conduct awards [Max Possible], and a pension. No disciplinary record in the military, half of which I served working in the Weapons Field including the Armory, and have been retired from the military for 10yrs. Is it possible and what would be the route to get my Civil Rights Reinstated so I can vote again and have the right to bear arms for home protection in the state of Illinois?

Due to the building being a school, and the amount, I believe this would be a class 3 STATE Felony, even though the FBI Clearance Check only stated Felony. In the Military I held a Secret Clearance at one time and I worked on issuing, repair, parts ordering, assembly and cleaning of many types of guns including m-16's and M-60's, yet I can't own, possess or buy a gun as a civilian now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Talk to an Attorney in your area, find one on Avvo by checking the tab above "find a Lawyer" a criminal Attorney may be able to help you, it certainly seems you have rehabilitated your self, you deserve a break.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.


You need to consult with IL counsel to review all your record clearing options and to determine what rights, if any are restored by such post-conviction relief.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia



Surely this question deserves more then two people to chime in...


I seem to recall your asking this question earlier and you did receive some answers and suggestions, Felonies cannot be expunged However, you might be able to apply for executive clemency/pardon which would restore your rights. You also have a strong case for appeal if you are denied a FOID card. You must first apply and see what happens. If you are denied, the appeal process starts with contacting the proper person (not a clerk) at the ISP. Try: Sgt. Mark Bayliss (Springfield) - Firearm Services Bureau/FOID application.

Thank you for your service.


Contact some lawyers that handle criminal matters, ask them if they will discount their rate due to your military service. Many lawyers offer reduced rates for veterans.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer