Civil Rights Reinstated

Asked 12 months ago - Tinley Park, IL

When I was 19 I received a Criminal Property Damage Felony [A School], $3000 restitution and 1 yr Probation. Went on to serve 20yrs in the military [waiver] awarded 5 Good Conduct awards [Max Possible], and a pension. No disciplinary record in the military, half of which I served working in the Weapons Field including the Armory, and have been retired from the military for 10yrs. Is it possible and what would be the route to get my Civil Rights Reinstated so I can vote again and have the right to bear arms for home protection in the state of Illinois?

Due to the building being a school, and the amount, I believe this would be a class 3 STATE Felony, even though the FBI Clearance Check only stated Felony.
In the Military I held a Secret Clearance at one time and I worked on issuing, repair, parts ordering, assembly and cleaning of many types of guns including m-16's and M-60's, yet I can't own, possess or buy a gun as a civilian now.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

3

2

Answered . I seem to recall your asking this question earlier and you did receive some answers and suggestions, Felonies cannot be expunged However, you might be able to apply for executive clemency/pardon which would restore your rights. You also have a strong case for appeal if you are denied a FOID card. You must first apply and see what happens. If you are denied, the appeal process starts with contacting the proper person (not a clerk) at the ISP. Try: Sgt. Mark Bayliss (Springfield) - Firearm Services Bureau/FOID application. http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/foidapp.cfm

Thank you for your service.

2. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

2

1

Answered . Contact some lawyers that handle criminal matters, ask them if they will discount their rate due to your military service. Many lawyers offer reduced rates for veterans.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

3

1

Answered . Talk to an Attorney in your area, find one on Avvo by checking the tab above "find a Lawyer" a criminal Attorney may be able to help you, it certainly seems you have rehabilitated your self, you deserve a break.

4. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

1

Answered . You need to consult with IL counsel to review all your record clearing options and to determine what rights, if any are restored by such post-conviction relief.