Civil Recourses for Stalking in NJ

Montvale, NJ |

My soon to be ex-wife has exhibited behavior that satisfies the criminal definition of stalking: 100+ phone calls in the middle of the night, showing up at the house when no one is home, sitting outside and watching the house, remotely breaking into e-mail accounts, etc. Many of these things are provable and I've already been granted an FRO. Criminal charges for some of these things are pending.

I've just begun to hear that stalking is something that can be pursued civilly and that it's even possible to be awarded damages. However, when I search for this, I only find articles about the introduction of the bill but I've not able to confirm that it has passed and this is an avenue that is presently available to me.

Is this something that I can presently pursue?

Generally speaking, you might want to have criminal charges resolve before you seek civil recourse.

The attorney's responses to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. For a free consultation, contact Aktas Law, P.A. at 954-332-2412 or at info@aktaslaw.com.