Civil Recourses for Stalking in NJ

Asked over 1 year ago - Montvale, NJ

My soon to be ex-wife has exhibited behavior that satisfies the criminal definition of stalking: 100+ phone calls in the middle of the night, showing up at the house when no one is home, sitting outside and watching the house, remotely breaking into e-mail accounts, etc. Many of these things are provable and I've already been granted an FRO. Criminal charges for some of these things are pending.

I've just begun to hear that stalking is something that can be pursued civilly and that it's even possible to be awarded damages. However, when I search for this, I only find articles about the introduction of the bill but I've not able to confirm that it has passed and this is an avenue that is presently available to me.

Is this something that I can presently pursue?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Seda Aktas

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally speaking, you might want to have criminal charges resolve before you seek civil recourse.

    The attorney's responses to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for stalking

Stalking is the crime of unwanted and obsessive attention by an individual or group toward another person, including the tracking of movements or activities.

Brian Loncar

UPDATE: US Cyber Bullying Laws

According to a recent decision by the Georgia Court of Appeals, parents in the State are now liable for what their kids post to Facebook and other social media accounts. By 2012, at least... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,377 answers this week

2,845 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,377 answers this week

2,845 attorneys answering