Civil Litigation

Is it normal for a civil litigator to ask a potential client to supply expert witnesses before taking a case?

Garden Grove, CA -

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Irvine, CA

"Normal" is a difficult standard when we do not know that kind of case or the issue involved. If you are seeking to have an attorney work your case on a contingency basis, it is not uncommon for good attorneys to do a great deal of investigation into the merits of a case before deciding to spend hundreds or even thousands of hours on a case and many tens of thousands of dollars of costs on that same case. If there is a threshold issue that would require expert testimony to determine the possibility of success, it is not only "normal" but a great idea for you and the attorney to get preliminary expert advice. You may find that the expert will say you have no case. That will save you much time, money and emotion invested in a case that would be eventually lost.

Good luck to you.

David M Blain

David M Blain

Litigation Lawyer - Dana Point, CA

Depending upon the nature of the claim, yes it is normal for an expert to be involved early in the case.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

It can be. Especially in medical malpractice cases, the family doctor or patient treatment specialist for the potential plaintiff client can be an invaluable expert.

Pajman Jassim

Pajman Jassim

Litigation Lawyer - San Diego, CA

It is not abnormal for the attorney to request the client advance expert costs. Also, in evaluating the merits of a case it would not be beyond the realm of normal for an attorney to ask an expert to review the case before filing suit, or early on in the case. Especially if the case involves issues that require an expert opinion that a lawyer may not be qualified to answer.

Paul Henry Nathan

Paul Henry Nathan

Family Law Attorney - San Francisco, CA

My practice in a case requiring an expert is to have my expert on board with an opinion before I agree to take the case. In the long run this saves both my client and myself time and money. We know right from the start where we stand with our expert's opinion. However, I do not usually ask my client to supply the expert and I tend not to work with experts I am not familiar with.

To answer your question: No, it is not out of the ordinary to have an expert review a case and express an opinion prior to the attorney agreeing to take the case. I recommend that be done before a case is commenced.

Further, it is not unusual for the attorney to have you, the client, pay for the expert's time if the attorney has not agreed to take the case. Nonetheless, it seems a bit odd if the attorney is asking you to go out and find your own expert. But, I am not apprised of the facts of your situation and would need more information to give you a comprehensive opinion.

Related Advice