Civil lawyers, how often do you let a payment plan be set up after a judgment has been entered at trial?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

How often do you set up a payment arrangement with the losing party?

Do you pursue for wage garnishments immediately?

How often do you pursue wage garnishments?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

1

Answered . The nature and degree of measures to be applied to enforcement of a judgment and collection against the assets of a judgment debtor will ordinarily take into account a number of factors including but not limited to the assets of the debtor that are subject to seizure or collection and the prospect for the judgment to be discharged by a bankruptcy filing.

2. Ross Carlton Meltzer

2

1

Answered . I agree with counsel that an attorney would weigh several factors prior to determining whether a payment plan is the appropriate collection method. If you are represented by counsel, you consult with your lawyer about your particular case as it will be difficult for an attorney on this site to provide clear guidance without knowing the facts.

3. Michael Charles Doland

1

1

Answered . I agree with Ms. McCall. At our office, I first seek the client consent. Next, I normally will accept some payment plan rather than the "hassle" of chasing down the debtor (unless bankruptcy is imminent according to "our" information.) We are experienced in wage garnishments and do them from time to time.