Civil case remanded, what does this mean

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverhead, NY

Hi, I have a civil case where I am the plaintiff which has been moving slowly through the Supreme court, state, (I think!) for over 4 years. Discovery was (finally) completed last month. There was a meeting Tuesday wherein my atty said he would try again to settle (the amount has been too low). Anyway, never heard from him that day (hard to get a hold of him from day 1)...I looked up on nycourts.gov to see when the trial date would be or what it said, and under outcome it says "remanded". This sounds bad after I looked it up (looks like it means moved to district court, meaning MORE TIME UGHHH). Why would this happen? And why now, after years in the same court (since 2009). I'm waiting to hear from my atty but am sweating here. I so want this over!

If my quick research it right, and it did move to a lower court, who would have likely made that motion? Could it be beneficial? Am I right in thinking this means MORE TIME? Thanks in advance!

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The out-of-State lawyers are right as the term is normally used but in NY what that means is that your case did not settle so it has been remanded from the settlement conference calander and put back on the trial calander. The case is still in the same court... you just need to wait your turn for a trial date. You will probably have a series of pre-trial conferences in the trial part where the court will try to settle it. If that fails, it will go to trial.

2. Bennett James Wills

Pro

1

1

Answered . Remanded means an intermediate court sent it to a lower court. Either for substantive, jurisdictional, or procedural reasons, although it's rare the courts make the call on it's own. There must have been a mistake made somewhere along the line that the court system or a judge just figured out. Your attorney will know exactly what happened.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

1

Answered . Remand means a higher court may remand a case to a lower court for more to do.