Skip to main content

Civil case is dismissed with prejudice!

Chicago, IL |

What does it mean if a civil case is dismissed with prejudice?

Can either party bring it back (reopen) before the judge at any given time?

In this case, would it be an appeal to have the case reopened again?

Is there a statute of limitations?

Thank you.

Attorney Answers 4


"Dismissed with Prejudice" means the case is permanently over-with.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


If a case has been dismissed with prejudice, it means that it cannot be refiled. The case cannot be reopened.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


No, the case can not ever be reopened if it was dismissed with prejudice. The case is simply over and any issues relating to the case are done.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


It mans that the case is permanently over unless that court's decision is reversed.

If you are interested in appealing, consult an appellate lawyer immediately. Appealing pro se is not recommended due to the many technical requirements.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics