City of Boston Knife Ordinance and Concealed Carry Weapon License

Asked over 1 year ago - Boston, MA

Can a person with a class A concealed carry weapons license legally carry a 3 inch folding pocket knife in the City of Boston or any other city for that matter which an 2 1/2 inch knife ordinance. I understand that that Worcester ordinance specifically allows Class A holders to carry knifes over 2 1/2 inches. Thanks.

1. Keith G Langer

Pro

1

1

Answered . There is no "Concealed Carry Weapon License" as such in MA. To carry a concealed handgun requires an LTC/A with no restrictions or "employment," etc. "Target & Hunting" and "Sporting" would not suffice.

While Worcester ties mere knives to a firearms license, so far as I know, Boston does not.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Michael P. Gerace

1

Answered . Also, you should be careful of carrying a knife generally because, if ever you are stopped and arrested, you might pick up a charge of carrying a dangerous weapon. Much depends on why type of knife it is (expressly prohibited by the statute, or per se dangerous or dangerous as used), and why you are carrying it. If the knife is not one that is intentionally designed for defense/offense against another person, such as a knife designed for carving wood or a knife designed for food prep, but you tell an officer you are carrying it to defend yourself, you could very well pick up a charge. It's generally not a good idea to walk around with a knife, unless you have an innocent reason for doing so and the knife is not one that is prohibited or pre se dangerous. Careful.