City bus hit my vehicle I pulled over bus did not. I had been drinking and got charged with falsifying police report.

Asked about 1 year ago - Culver City, CA

I had been drinking and my car was hit by a city bus. I has got some bad advice to say my car got stolen so i could give my insurance aoloce report ro fix my car. i went to the police station they knew i wa lying and charged me with falsifying a police report. I went to file the real police report but was told one had already been filed by the bus driver. What happened was I was driving in my lane, the bus switched lanes And hit me, I pulled over and the bus did not. So I left my car there and did not want to get the police report right away bc I as been drinking and did not want to get a 2nd DUI. Now, I do not know what to tell my insurance company bc what if I say I did not make a report which is true, then later when my court case comes up i get charged with a hit And run.

1. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you want to be covered by your insurance, you have to tell the truth. You have a duty to cooperate. However, no one wants you to admit to a crime. Best to get an attorney BEFORE you make any statement to anyone, including your insurance co.

2. Bart Kasperowicz

4

1

Answered . the First thing you should do is immediately stop posting your confessions online. The second thing you should do is contact a lawyer that handles criminal defense cases.

3. Dan Eugene Chambers

3

1

Answered . Get counsel involved immediately. Many of us on Avvo provide a free consultation. I know as a former prosecutor in Los Angeles County that these offenses are taken seriously.

4. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

3

1

Answered . "Now, I do not know what to tell my insurance company"

Why talk to them? Look at them as if they were the police.

If you talk to the police, you can get into trouble.

If you talk to the police and have involuntary bodily function it can count as an admission= (see Salinas v. Texas)

Hire a lawyer. Talk only to your lawyer.

Enjoy the 4th and 5th amendments, they won't be here much longer.