Skip to main content

Citizenship without waiting 5 years for good moral character after disorderly conduct violation charge.

Nyack, NY |

As I have disorderly conduct violation in 2009, should I apply for citizenship without waiting 5 years to prove good moral character? Will I be automatically denied?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor, and as such not a big deal at all. Just have the certified copy of your case's final disposition document from the court and bring it to your citizenship interview. You will be okay. If filled out correctly, and You otherwise qualify, your application for naturalization will be granted.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. It will not be automatically denied. If you have completed all the sentencing and your case is closed then you should have a good chance of getting your citizenship. I would hire an attorney to go over your case and then attend the interview with you to increase your success.

  3. I think you'll be fine. Follow Mr. Behar's advice.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

  4. You should be fine. However, it won't hurt to review your specific circumstances with a lawyer.

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics