Citizenship oath

Asked over 4 years ago - Germantown, MD

I had my citizenship interview on 11-19-09,i passed and get the oath letter same day,
but 2 hours later they call me and said do not come for oath today,coz they need more docoments. after 6 months i recived form N-14.very next day i sended back and recived too,i have proof.now i am waiting again.
can you tell how long they will take after they receive N-14.

in form n-14 they ask send the certified letter and explain why i did not enroll my name to selective service when i got my green card in 1997, i enrolled my name in year 2009.i attached the copy with n-400,during the interview i gave they copy too.

1. Matthew Rice Glinsmann

Pro

Answered . In most Baltimore District office cases, you will hear back in 7-120 days (sometimes longer). Approvals are more likely to be received quickly and denials or requests for evidence tend to take longer. I think the likelihood of a denial or request for additional documents increases substantially after 60 days have passed.

If you did not use an experienced attorney, you may want to have one review your case to determine if there are significant issues.

2. Maria Fuster Glinsmann

Answered . There is no science to how long it takes to get a response back from USCIS after a Request for Evidence. Having said that, you are right that 6 months is "beyond normal processing times" and you may want to schedule an INFOPASS appointment to visit the Baltimore District Office and inquire the status of your case. My educated guess is that whatever evidence you provided was insufficient to prove your eligibility and now the officer has to either draft a Notice of Intent to Deny. Otherwise, if the evidence you provided was sufficient, it would have been simple to approve. INFOPASS may help you get to the heart of the matter quickly, since now the folks who man the INFOPASS counters are District Adjudications Officers who are authorized to make decisions on pending applications. This change occured about on year ago and has generally been very good for processing times in this office. Having said that you should be warned that certain problems in a naturalization application can trigger a date with an immigration judge. For instance certain crimes and/or fraud in prior applications can trigger a "Notice to Appear". In this case, you would want an immigration attorney to handle the matter for you. In your question, you didn't indicate the nature of the evidence request, so it is hard to know.

To learn more specifically about how to proceed on your naturalization application, take advantage of our Free 30 Minute Consultation by clicking on the BOOK NOW button on our website: www.glinlaw.com and choose Option 1. The link below will also take you to the appointment scheduling system. We would be happy to work with you so that you can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

3. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Answered . No one can hazard an informed guess on the processing of a particular case.

If you have not done so, you may want to make an InfoPass appointment at the office handling your application. The persons at that office may be able to give you an informative update on your case. InfoPass appointments can be made at www.uscis.gov .

You can also check whether you can file a petition with the local federal district court to force the USCIS to make a decision on your case. The court can only compel USCIS to make a decision; the court cannot compel USCIS to make a positive decision.

You can also contact the offices of your Congresspersons. While the members of Congress have no authority to approve or deny naturalization applications, their inquiries of the statuses of applications often prompt the appropriate persons at USCIS to take action.

You can review your specific facts with local attorneys to find out what the local USCIS practices are.

4. David Nabow Soloway

Answered . In addition to the information in the previous response, it would be helpful to know the nature of the N-14 request and to assess how that might affect naturalization eligibility. For example, if an N-14 was issued to require you to supply certified disposition documents for a criminal offense, then the details about the outcome of that matter may be critically important.

If you received a Form N-14 approximately six months after your 11/19/2009 interview, and immediately submitted the requested documents, then the USCIS would have received it only a few days ago. It is not unusual for the USCIS to take a couple of months (or even longer) to match your documents with your file and have an officer review your file again to make a decision.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com