Citizenship Interview and Test passed, but application will be review. If my application is denied, what can I do?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Frederick, MD

I became permanet resident in September 2007 an applied for naturalization because I am married to a US citizen. Unfortunately in June 2011 my husband and I separated and there is a proctective order against him. We had a 5 months baby daughter and we still married. Today I had my interview and passed test and all papers were in order. We filed taxes together since 2006, we bought a house in 2008, I am still under his health insurance, joint bank account. The officer told me that I was approved and he even scheduled me for the oath ceremony. When I was in the waiting room for the ceremony he came and told me that there is a little problem that need to clarify, about a protective order. he asked to write an statement, my applcation will be on review and wait for ans answer on tghe mail.

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . That would depend on the reasons for the denial.

2. Christian Schmidt

Answered . If you are denied, you can request a hearing on the decision by filing form N-336. You may have a problem to qualify based on the 3 year residency requirement because it appears that your marital union has been disrupted.

3. C. C. Abbott

Answered . The interview itself is always subject to furtehr review and until an approval is issued the interview comments are only conditional on final review.
    When you get the decision, you should contact an experiened immigrationa ttorney who can examine the facts of your case including the decision and provide you with a legal opinion. If its a Notice of Intent to Denial then it will have a time for you to provide further information; an experienced immigration attorney can examine the NOD and advise what should eb done. Good luck.