Citizenship interview - Selective Service status information letter needed even if I was in US on valid non-immigrant visa?

Arlington Heights, IL |

My citizenship interview is in 3 weeks. The interview letter says "You MUST bring the following with you to the interview ... Any evidence of Selective Service Registration".

According to the selective service web page (, "No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for: ... Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa".

I was on an F-1 student visa until past age 26. To establish this, I am thinking of taking copies of my I-20 forms and F-1 visas to the interview. Is that sufficient? Or should I try to obtain a status information letter from the selective service?

No. You don't need to go through all this. The USCIS interviewing officer will have your entire "visa file" containing your entire immigration history, which should already contain the records of your F-1 visa.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

It will be sufficient to bring copies of your I-20 forms and F-1 visas to your citizenship interview.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I normally ask clients to prepare an affidavit stating that they did not have the requirement (or were not aware of the requirement to register for selective service) and just take it with them to the interview.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Recommended articles about Immigration