Citizenship interview - Selective Service status information letter needed even if I was in US on valid non-immigrant visa?

Asked over 2 years ago - Arlington Heights, IL

My citizenship interview is in 3 weeks. The interview letter says "You MUST bring the following with you to the interview ... Any evidence of Selective Service Registration".

According to the selective service web page (, "No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for: ... Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa".

I was on an F-1 student visa until past age 26. To establish this, I am thinking of taking copies of my I-20 forms and F-1 visas to the interview. Is that sufficient? Or should I try to obtain a status information letter from the selective service?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 12

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It will be sufficient to bring copies of your I-20 forms and F-1 visas to your citizenship interview.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I normally ask clients to prepare an affidavit stating that they did not have the requirement (or were not aware of the requirement to register for selective service) and just take it with them to the interview.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. You don't need to go through all this. The USCIS interviewing officer will have your entire "visa file" containing your entire immigration history, which should already contain the records of your F-1 visa.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,365 answers this week

3,599 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,365 answers this week

3,599 attorneys answering