Citizenship interview - Selective Service status information letter needed even if I was in US on valid non-immigrant visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Arlington Heights, IL

My citizenship interview is in 3 weeks. The interview letter says "You MUST bring the following with you to the interview ... Any evidence of Selective Service Registration".

According to the selective service web page (www.sss.gov), "No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for: ... Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa".

I was on an F-1 student visa until past age 26. To establish this, I am thinking of taking copies of my I-20 forms and F-1 visas to the interview. Is that sufficient? Or should I try to obtain a status information letter from the selective service?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

1

Answered . It will be sufficient to bring copies of your I-20 forms and F-1 visas to your citizenship interview.

2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

3

Answered . I normally ask clients to prepare an affidavit stating that they did not have the requirement (or were not aware of the requirement to register for selective service) and just take it with them to the interview.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . No. You don't need to go through all this. The USCIS interviewing officer will have your entire "visa file" containing your entire immigration history, which should already contain the records of your F-1 visa.