Citizenship in Newark NJ

Asked 6 months ago - Paterson, NJ

I had my citizenship interview in Newark NJ yesterday and it was approved and I received my certificate the same day. I am thinking now about changing my name, it it still possible to go back to the Newark office and request a name change? or is it too late?

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

3

Answered . It is too late. You can still change your name through the courts, but that process is much more complicated. Congratulations on your citizenship.

2. Maimoon N Mustafa

2

Answered . No you cannot. You will have to apply for it through the court.

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . You get the oath ceremony the same day as the interview? Wow! They don't do that here. Anyway, yes, it is too late to change your name through the citizenship process. You can still go to court and file for a name change.

4. Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

Pro

1

Answered . I t is too late. You should have told them during the interview, in which case it would have taken much longer for you to receive the certificate. you can always consult a lawyer if you have more questions.