Citizenship denied because of failure to disclose prior marriage on my F1 Visa forms.What should I do now?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

Came to the US on F1 visa in 2004,didn't mention about my marriage in Russia on F1 visa forms as told by my spouse in the US.Got married to the same spouse in 2006 here who was on H1b.Got divorced from him in 2008(marriage didn't work out when we started living together) and married a US citizen in 2010 and got my green card and conditions removed successfully but denied at the citizenship interview for lack of moral character because I didn't mention about my marriage on F1 forms!.I never knew that it was such a serious thing. I didn't do that to gain entry here! Are they going to deport me for something that stupid and benign? I don't know what to do now.Please help.

1. Daniel Warren Thomann

6

Answered . I'm having difficulty with the start of your question - in 2004 were you married to someone who was already in the US as an H-1B? You should probably consult an attorney directly so that he or she can review the denial notice and go over the details of your history in order to advise you about whether you should pursue review of the denial, or some other option. Whether USCIS would refer your case to the immigration court for removal proceedings might depend on the specifics of the denial. An attorney could go over that with you as well, and advise you about any relief from removal (deportation) that you would qualify for. Good luck!

2. Wendy Renee Whitt

6

Answered . USCIS does not consider omitting a marriage from your immigration application documents "benign." I strongly suggest you not discuss this on an open forum like Avvo and consult with an immigration attorney in confidence at once.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Hire a good immigration attorney and review your options.

4. J Charles Ferrari

5

Answered . Hire an experienced immigration attorney.

5. Husna F. Alikhan

4

Answered . You should file an I-601 Waiver based on extreme hardship to your United States Citizen Spouse. You must enlist an experienced immigration attorney to prepare and file the 601 waiver on your behalf.

6. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . Counsel Ferrari has issued you an excellent advice.