Citizenship application and Tax Returns

Asked about 1 year ago - Paterson, NJ

Is it necessary to submit copies of my income tax returns with my citizenship application if I am not applying based on marriage to USC?

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . I always submit copies of the tax returns with the filing. There is no good reason not to, and it makes the process much smoother.
    If you obtained your green card by marriage to a US citizen, that marriage is still subject to review when you apply for citizenship. You should consult with a lawyer before filing anything.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

Answered . The instructions on the application will inform whether or not to include tax returns. Read the instructions carefully before submitting. That being said, I agree with my colleagues.

3. Michael Haven

1

Answered . No. The application asks if you have paid taxes every year since becoming a permanent resident and if you owe any taxes to the IRS but you do not have to provide evidence of that. If you do owe taxes and are on a payment plan with the IRS it is a good idea to bring evidence of the payment plan with you to the interview.

4. Jakob Seth Lipman

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague - unless there is a reason for you to include your taxes, they are usually not required by USCIS.

5. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . No

6. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

1

Answered . In my district, you must show copies of your last 5 returns or a tax transcript for the past 5 years.