Skip to main content

Citizenship application and Tax Returns

Paterson, NJ |

Is it necessary to submit copies of my income tax returns with my citizenship application if I am not applying based on marriage to USC?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


No. The application asks if you have paid taxes every year since becoming a permanent resident and if you owe any taxes to the IRS but you do not have to provide evidence of that. If you do owe taxes and are on a payment plan with the IRS it is a good idea to bring evidence of the payment plan with you to the interview.


I agree with my colleague - unless there is a reason for you to include your taxes, they are usually not required by USCIS.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


In my district, you must show copies of your last 5 returns or a tax transcript for the past 5 years.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500


I always submit copies of the tax returns with the filing. There is no good reason not to, and it makes the process much smoother.
If you obtained your green card by marriage to a US citizen, that marriage is still subject to review when you apply for citizenship. You should consult with a lawyer before filing anything.


The instructions on the application will inform whether or not to include tax returns. Read the instructions carefully before submitting. That being said, I agree with my colleagues.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.



The instruction only says to submit tax returns if you are applying based on your marriage to a USC. Do they usually request tax returns from everyone in NJ?

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete


If the instructions say to submit tax returns then you should submit it. This is federal law so it really doesn't depend on what state you are in. It's best to be safe than sorry. Good luck.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer