Citizenship acceptance ?

Des Moines, IA |

I once got a traffic ticket ( failure to maintain control ), because I fell asleep for a second while driving and I ditched my car. So cop came and gave me a ticket of 195$.

So I have some questions regarding my case.

1. Do I need to answer yes to question number ( 15, 16, 17, 18 ) of for N-400 ?

2. After reading the form I am under the impression that these questions are a judge of your good moral character, so answering them yes would go in my favor. So my next

question is that in case my application gets denied because of this crime record against me, would my green card ( 10 year validity , which I received before this accident )

also stand cancelled ? or How would it effect my future renewal of green card ?

3. If my application is not accepted how early and how often can I keep applying for citizenship ? and do I need to pay fees again and again ?

Honesty is always the best policy when dealing with USCIS. You should submit and explanation of the circumstances surrounding the ticket and any evidence you may have regarding your compliance. It is unlikely that your application would be denied based on a traffic violation so long as you disclose the information.

This will have no effect on your green card, so long as this is your only interaction with law enforcement and you have no other criminal convictions. A criminal conviction could lead to you being placed in removal proceedings and being deported. If you have to reapply then you will have to pay the fee again. Talk to an attorney in your area if you have any more questions.

Gabriela M. Lopez, Esq.

Thanks for the reply, I am married to a US citizen ( by birth ) and I have two daughters ( also citizen by birth ) . Does this work in my favor or it has no effect on my case ? I had no intentions of committing crime, it was unintentional. I am a computer engineering student with good moral character. I feel like a criminal because of this incident. I hope everything goes well and I get accepted. Once again thanks for the reply, it was very helpful.

Gabriela Monserrat Lopez Arcos

Gabriela Monserrat Lopez Arcos

Yes, your family can help you depending on the circumstances. However, you really need to sort your criminal case because it could be a real barrier to your legalization. Contact an immigration attorney that can help you determine whether you are eligible for a waiver or a U-Visa.

Naturalization application places your entire immigration history for review before the officers and should not be taken lightly. You consult a experienced lawyer if you want to know whether your application would be denied. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
Carmel, IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Recommended articles about Immigration