Skip to main content


Newark, NJ |

I came to this country in 1968, residing in USA for more 30 years . I am 57 year old and I want to become a USA citizen.. Do I still have to take the CITIZENSHIP Test? or not? if yes, can I take the test in my native language Spanish? Please advice?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Based on the information you have provided you are eligible to take the test in Spanish...but the test still has to be taken.

    This information is not to be construed as legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Yes, you have to take the test. But you appear eligible for 'accommodation'. of the language.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. Everyone has to take the test, but it appears you are eligible to do so in Spanish. If you write that question yourself in English, you have nothing to worry about.

  4. From the facts you present you are eligible to take the test in Spanish.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  5. Yes, you CAN! You should speak with an EXPERIENCED immigration attorney to assist you with the process to ensure everything else is done properly so that you are successful in obtaining your U.S. Citizenship.

    Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics