Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Am ready for apply for citizenship , I will apply on March but confuse about that you have to mention every time that you was out of USA , I lost most of my passports and won't be able to apply because of that situation , or you only have to mention how many times you was out of the USA in the last 5 years ?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You must provide the dates to the best of your recollection.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have to be as forthcoming as you humanly can. You have to put in all your travel for the last five years but they may ask for other travel.

  3. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Just answer to the best of your recollection and epxlain you lost your prior passport

  4. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should consult and retain an immigration lawyer. Some people apply for naturalization and end up in Removal proceedings. Don't go it alone when there are so many immigration lawyers out there who can help you. Plus, many of us offer a free consultation. Immigration law is complex and the stakes are high. If you value your status in the U.S., use an immigration lawyer. Good luck to you.
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  5. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . They are most interested in the last five years because there are certain limits that you can not exceed in terms of how long you have been out of the US during that time (for example if you were out of the US for 6 months or more total during those five years you may not qualify).

    You will need to provide as much detail as possible about each exit and entry in and out of the US during those last five years. You can explain that you lost your passport and provide this information to the best of your recollection.

Related Topics

US citizenship requirements

In order to become a US citizen, applicants most show good citizenship and demonstrate that they have an attachment to the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,211 answers this week

2,221 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,211 answers this week

2,221 attorneys answering