Skip to main content

Cited for failure to stop to avoid an accident; can I get this not to be on my record? Can I get traffic school or a warning?

Glenview, IL |

I was the third car into a three car rear-end accident and was cited of rfailure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. No injuries reported and the accident was in a high traffic area (not speeding). Had initial court date on 11-June-13 and the driver of the middle vehichle appeared in court (he is upset he'll lose his insurance deductible given he has been deemed 50% at fault given he hit the front car first). I was told by the officer on-site that nobody would show in court and I'd get my license back. Given I saw the other driver there, I asked for and was given a continuance. I have phone records to prove I was not on the phone and am working to get a statement from the front driver.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should hire a traffic lawyer to deal with the citation.

Your insurance should take care of any property damage to the vehicles involved.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.


Yes it may be possible, depending on a number of circumstances that are best not discussed in a public setting. You should contact an attorney who is located near the court where your case will be heard. Hew or she will know what the practices are in the judge's courtroom and also what the prosecutor is likely to do. Good luck.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. He can be contacted at (219) 836 2200. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.


Hire a traffic lawyer and report this to your insurer

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight it.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer