Citation for violation of reasonable and prudent speed...

Asked over 3 years ago - Montgomery, AL

I got stopped by a state trooper the other night on the interstate - weather was fine, traffic was average, 8 p.m., no construction in the area. I WAS speeding (about 78 mph) but the instant I realized it I slowed down. Anyhow, the second I hit the brakes I saw the blue lights. The officer asked me if I knew what the speed limit was - I told him I thought it was 70, that I realized I was going 78 but that I'd slowed down as soon as I noticed the speedometer. He said the speed limit was actually 60. He gave me a ticket for "reasonable and prudent speed violation" and told me I had 3 months to pay. I didn't realize this wasn't just a regular speeding ticket until I went online to pay and discovered it was a mandatory court appearance! What the heck?? Is this that bad,and if so, why??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Patrick Mahaney


    Contributor Level 16
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should never simply "pay" a speeding ticket of whatever kind without considering the consequences. Payment of any traffic ticket is an admission of guilt. Under Alabama law, theDepartment of Public Safety will assign 2 points for simple speed violations and 5 points for 'aggravated' speed violation under the Alabama 'Point' system. You are permitted up to 11 points at any given time before the Department sends a pre-suspension letter concerning license removal for excessive traffic violations. [Note: Persons under 17 years of age are only permitted 3 points - a single 4 point violation or accumlation of 4 points or more will result in a 60 day license suspension under the Alabama 'Graduated Driver License' procedure.]

    If there are extinuating or mitigating circumstances, you are entitled to a full trial on the merits. You should note that most car insurance companies determine risk on a combination of factors, including the driver's age, driving history, and type of vehicle. Any time the insurance company sees a pattern of traffic tickets, the insurance company will (probably) adjust the rate upward.

  2. Erick Masten Platten


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Hello there,

    You need to contact an attorney that handles traffic citation in that area to help you.


    Erick Platten

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,954 answers this week

2,947 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,954 answers this week

2,947 attorneys answering