Choosing an attorney... does it matter how close he is located to where the accident took place ?

Encino, CA |

Hi! Choosing between several personal injury attorneys in the same state -
should i care at all how close an attorney is to where the accident was ?
Does it have any impact in practice? say, how quickly they can obtain police reports etc?

thanks, Geoff

Even if they are in totally different city? many-many miles away?

1. That's an excellent question. In all reality, the answer to your question would be no--it doesn't really make a difference how close (or far) your attorney is located to the accident location. Just make sure that they're a competent lawyer who is going to zealously fight for you.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

2. Really doesn't matter as long as they are a good lawyer and will represent you zealously.

SP@BeverlyHillsLawCorp.com
    323-703-3581

3. I agree, as long as they practice in the same state where the collision occurred it doesn't matter. My recommendation would be to choose the one that you felt most comfortable about, as long as they were equally zealous, because this could be a long relationship and good communication is critical.

Merry Fountain is licensed to practice law in Indiana. She can be contacted at 1-888-242-HURT. This is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is legal education intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. If the question does not include important timeframes and facts the answer could change. Merry Fountain strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state.

4. No doesn't make a difference. As long as you have phone access to the attorney you will be fine. Just make sure you feel comfortable with them. All of us give free consultations so don't hesitate to contact any of us.

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email: Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com; Website: www.KingofPi.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

5. At the risk of ruffling some feathers, I agree in part with my colleagues. By the way, all the attorneys that have answered are first rate in my view. Depending upon the specific nature of the case, I'm of the view local is generally to your advantage. Local counsel knows the players, terrain, jury pool, etc. I've seen outside counsel acheive great success, alas at least equally I've seen the opposite. I've been retained several times as local counsel. Likewise, I've aligned myself with local counsel where I'm the 'outsider'. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

6. No, you should choose the attorney who you think will offer you the best representation possible. Any attorney licensed in California can represent you. The headquarters of insurance companies your lawyer will be communicating with are often out of state, and police reports are easily obtained by mail or fax. Don't do yourself a disservice by choosing a lawyer that is very close, but maybe is not as experienced. My firm helps accident victims from all over the state, and distance has no affect on the quality of service we provide. Good luck with your claim and choosing the attorney that is right for you.

Bergener & Associates | 1-800-881-2021 | info@bergenerlaw.com | http://www.bergenerlaw.com | The information provided must not be considered legal advice. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only. Bergener & Associates, PLC is a personal injury practice serving accident victims and their families in the State of California only. No individuals should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any answers to questions without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice from an attorney licensed in their state. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship between any attorney at Bergener & Associates and any recipient.

7. Whether to hire a local attorney or one from afar in our very very long State of California... the answer depends on the case, of course. Should a case be contingent, the lawyer will have an incentive not to travel more than absolutely necessary... should it be hourly, the attorney might enjoy racking up billable hours while waiting for a flight at the LAX cocktail lounge... of course, from the attorney side of it, if the case is small and far away, he or she should probably pass... but if the dollars make sense, then offer representation.

Though I am based out of Corona, California, I handle matters all over California... albeit getting me up north requires more than a couple bucks at stake.

If I were to hire a lawyer, I would want to meet that lawyer face to face and see his or her office and meet the staff... while maybe not a necessary formality prior to retaining the lawyer, I would just want to... that said, it's not always possible or feasible... and I have actually met more than a few clients after we've inked a retainer agreement (though we have talked ad nauseum and emailed prior to that).

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    4160 Temescal Canyon Road, Suite 306
    Corona, CA 92833
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law and does so anywhere in the State of California.
    *** If you enjoy my posts, enjoyed a consultation with me, or are a happy satisfied client, please give me an Avvo recommendation/review.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law. *** If you enjoy my posts, enjoyed a consultation with me, or are a happy satisfied client, please give me an Avvo recommendation/review.

8. You need an experienced attorney, who the insurance companies know will go to trial if necessary, but will also know when to recommend the right number. As long as the attorney is close enough to visit if you need a face to face, you should be fine. I think zealousness is overrated. If an attorney is too zealous he/she might aggravate the adjuster or defense attorney unnecessarily and/or might push too hard for the wrong reason. This may actually result in less money for the client.

9. There is another factor to consider when making your decision. Often times, it is helpful for a lawyer to go to an accident location to look around and get a feel for the area, see the flow of traffic, look at landmarks, street signs, lighting, or anything else. If a lawyer's office is far, it may be harder to accomplish this goal. Of course, this may or may not be a factor for your case, but it is something else to think about. Good luck.

10. It will matter most if the case eventually has to be tried, but that's relatively rare these days. Otherwise, it's not too important.

11. It doesn't make a great deal of difference, other than convenience & the attorney being familiar with the local judges & court procedures. Most important factor is the ability and experience of the attorney.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

12. It really doesn't matter. Any attorney here in the LA area could handle it for you. You should retain an experienced attorney and one you feel comfortable with.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

13. I agree with the other answers with one qualification: If you select a lawyer at a considerable distance from the courthouse where suit will have to be filed if it cannot be settled, your retainer agreement should provide that the attorney will pay his own travel expenses. (Often, but not always if the case can't be settled, suit will have to be filed in the County where the collision occurred.)

For example, I am licensed in both Nevada and California and resident in Las Vegas. I recently had a big boating accident case that I filed suit on in federal court in Los Angeles. I had to make three trips to the LA Court before resolving the case. Although my retainer agreement was silent on the issue, I didn't deduct these travel expenses from the settlement because I figured the client could have hired an LA lawyer and I didn't want to penalize the client for hiring me.

The issue of whether you will have travel costs deducted from your settlement if the case has to be tried should be discussed in advance. The lawyer may truthfully say that most auto accident cases are settled without suit being filed, but sometimes suit has to be filed, or even the case tried, to get the client fair value.

14. Apparently it does not anymore. However, I have seen as an advantage to be local..Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

15. All the lawyers here are giving excellent answers. I think we agree the most important thing is to hire an experienced lawyer you are comfortable with and confident in. I would just add that there may be some valid reasons to go local. For instance, travel expenses would include mileage, meals and hotel. This of course must be factored in to the type of case you have and the value of your case.

16. As long as the attorney is licensed in California. You can hire any attorney you wish, even the ones not in your city. It is probably best to hire an experience attorney who you are comfortable with. However, it might be more costly if you hire an attorney too far from your area due to travel expense and inconvenience. It's best to hire someone who is familiar with the judges, clerks, and experts in the area near the accident (or your city)... litigation is costly so it's best to save money by looking for an attorney in your area. I'm sure you can find one closer to you that is good and you are comfortable with. Goodluck!

*Disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not representing you in the underlying issue stated in your question. The response I have offered is not intended to be relied upon, you should seek out an attorney to assist in this matter. You may contact me directly at (415) 362-6765 ext.120; website: www.wc-advocateforjustice.com. (Attorney for Law Offices of William E. Weiss)

Professional ethics topics