Child support questions about remarriage and state jurisdiction.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Albert Lea, MN

My divorce and child support order are in AK. I am now living in MN and would like to get remarried. Can the state of AK or my Ex go after my new husband's income and Federal tax refund for back and future child support?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Benjamin Josef Colburn

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You may wish to ask this question of an attorney who practices in and is familiar with the laws and procedures of child support collection in your former state of residence.

    I think it is unlikely that your husband's income is fair game for your apparent child support obligation. However, it is more likely that the refund from a jointly filed tax return may be reachable. Again, you should seek consultation from an attorney in Alaska.

    The content of this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a source of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,784 answers this week

3,132 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,784 answers this week

3,132 attorneys answering