Child support questions about remarriage and state jurisdiction.

Asked over 2 years ago - Albert Lea, MN

My divorce and child support order are in AK. I am now living in MN and would like to get remarried. Can the state of AK or my Ex go after my new husband's income and Federal tax refund for back and future child support?

1. Benjamin Josef Colburn

Answered . You may wish to ask this question of an attorney who practices in and is familiar with the laws and procedures of child support collection in your former state of residence.

I think it is unlikely that your husband's income is fair game for your apparent child support obligation. However, it is more likely that the refund from a jointly filed tax return may be reachable. Again, you should seek consultation from an attorney in Alaska.