Child support question

Asked over 4 years ago - Spring, TX

my wife and I have been paying child support for her daughter who recently turned 18 - she is graduating in May of this year - will our child support stop at that time? hre ex husband continues to think we will have to pay till she graduates college- in the decree it states only when the child turns 18 and / or graduates, nothing about college we are nervous as he is pretty well off and can afford an attorney we know the money we give him does not go to the child but that is another issue

1. Robert Constantine Fafatas

Answered . Typically, child support orders provide that the obligations continue until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later. The specific language of the divorce decree/child support order will control the child support obligations so you should consider having an attorney review it in order to give you a definitive answer.

2. Christopher Michael Schmiedeke

Pro

Answered . It sounds as if your decree has the standard language. If it does, then the child support would stop at graduation. I cannot stress how important it is to review and understand your entire divorce decree. Look for anything which might indicate your liability for college.

Contact a lawyer, forward them the order, and pay them a small fee to look at it. Couldn't hurt.