Child support for a non custodial parent who is non immigrant

Asked over 1 year ago - Normal, IL

I have my paternity test appointment next week in IL. The case was actually filed in MN.
If the test shows am the father. I have few questions in my mind.
Being a non US citizen and a non immigrant working here on a valid visa,
1. Will this impact my immigration status?
2. How will the child support be implemented once i go back to my country, India. Does US have the reciprocatory agreement?
3. If i go back, i hardly make $20-$30 usd per day, so am not sure if i can afford as am married and my parents are dependant on me.

1. Wes Cowell

3

Answered . It should not impact your immigration status. You may want to seek to change the support obligation prior to your return to India. the fact that your parents are dependent on you should not affect your obligation to support your children. Kids first, parents later.

2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

3

Answered . If you are the father and you pay the support as ordered, it should have no effect on your non immigrant status. If you plan to leave the country, you should consult with a family law attorney before doing so in order to have your question regarding continued support answered

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues and encourage you to meet with a family law attorney as soon as possible.