Child Support Civil Contempt Hearing, First Time, Will I Go To Jail?

Asked 10 months ago - Beckley, WV

I've been ordered to appear at a civil hearing for contempt of court for non-payment of child support. I have been sporadically employed over the course of the last few years through no fault of my own. I am currently employed and having my wages garnished to make child support payments, but due to the nature of my job, we're in an "off season" right now, where there isn't very much work to be done, thus I've not been able to make a full payment. But I am making payments nonetheless. I am currently just over $20,000 in arrears and this is the first time I've been summoned to court over this. What should I expect from this? Will I face jail time?

I should probably also note that the job I currently have, I've only had for about 6 weeks now. I got it after they had started the paperwork for the contempt case, but before I actually myself found out about it. I have no idea if that makes any difference at all.

1. Thomas J Callahan

1

Best Answer

Answered . Anything could happen, even a first time in court on contempt, given this arrearage. You should have been filing modifications to deal with loss of jobs and seasonal downturns. But that is now water under the bridge. make sure child support is adjusted to account for your present seasonal downturn. I would very much have a lawyer with you.

2. Seth S. Gaskins

1

1

Answered . Anything over $7,000 in arrears in WV is a serious offense. You really need the guidance of a skilled family law attorney in Beckley that can defend you in the contempt proceeding and work on a modification of your child support obligations for the future. Good luck.