Skip to main content

Child support arrears modified

Rochester, NY |

Both of my sons r 21 yrs old I owe about $2900 for both for back arrears is there any way I can get that modified I live in Rochester ny

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Once your sons are 21 years old, you can terminate the child support order. However, any established arrears remain on your account until paid in full. The arrears do not disappear or terminate once the children are emancipated. Unfortunately, they must be paid unless the custodial parent waives them.

  2. The arrears will have to be paid. You may arrange a payment plan.

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

  3. Once arrears are established, ther is no way to undo them unless you were on social services.

    I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

    * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

    This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.