Child support arrears-Florida case but custodial parent in Kansas-how and where to ask for arrears compromise

Asked 4 months ago - Miami, FL

Which state is in charge of settling the arrears, can the custodial parent make a request and if yes to whom where. I read Florida rarely compromises child support arrears- is this true? My arrears are over 8 years old and my children are nearly emancipated. I pay regularly support and also towards arrears but it would take too long to pay them off like this since my arrears are over 35k.
Original Florida order was never changed and Kansas is just collecting.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tami Lane Augen


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Florida will be in charge of the case. Remember, the mother raised the children and they needed support during their childhood. If the other parent raised them without the assistance of the support that you were supposed to pay, then you should continue to remit payments after they emancipate to repay the amount that the parent paid while you did not remit payments.

    This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor... more
  2. Joshua Edward Rhea

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Florida has the jurisdiction over this. Child support arrears never disappear once the child(ren) are over the age of 18, so you would still be required to pay that. Because of the amount of arrears I would highly recommend you speaking to an attorney that can help you in this matter to see if there can be some resolution.

    Please be advised that by answering this I have not formed any attorney-client relationship nor have I intended to... more
  3. Richard Scott Chizever


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues and will not repeat. But I do want to add one thing, you might be able to negotiate a less amount of arrears with your ex, as well as be put on a payment plan. I wouldn't handle this yourself because negotiating directly with an ex is a bit difficult. I would definitely contact an attorney to aid you in this. Please feel free to contact myself or a colleague.

    You can reach the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. at (305) 974-1580 or Richard S.... more
  4. Jeffrey Scott Drabin

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I agree with other counsel in this matter. However, one thing you may wish to explore is if the other parent was on aid in KS and if some of the $35K you owe is assigned to KS. If there are assigned arrears, you will need to contact KS to see if they have a program to compromise those arrears.

    This information is provided for general educational purposes only including answers posted to questions asked.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,482 answers this week

2,763 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,482 answers this week

2,763 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary