Child support arrears-Florida case but custodial parent in Kansas-how and where to ask for arrears compromise

Asked 4 months ago - Miami, FL

Which state is in charge of settling the arrears, can the custodial parent make a request and if yes to whom where. I read Florida rarely compromises child support arrears- is this true? My arrears are over 8 years old and my children are nearly emancipated. I pay regularly support and also towards arrears but it would take too long to pay them off like this since my arrears are over 35k.
Original Florida order was never changed and Kansas is just collecting.

1. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

2

Answered . Florida will be in charge of the case. Remember, the mother raised the children and they needed support during their childhood. If the other parent raised them without the assistance of the support that you were supposed to pay, then you should continue to remit payments after they emancipate to repay the amount that the parent paid while you did not remit payments.

2. Joshua Edward Rhea

Answered . Florida has the jurisdiction over this. Child support arrears never disappear once the child(ren) are over the age of 18, so you would still be required to pay that. Because of the amount of arrears I would highly recommend you speaking to an attorney that can help you in this matter to see if there can be some resolution.

3. Richard Scott Chizever

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleagues and will not repeat. But I do want to add one thing, you might be able to negotiate a less amount of arrears with your ex, as well as be put on a payment plan. I wouldn't handle this yourself because negotiating directly with an ex is a bit difficult. I would definitely contact an attorney to aid you in this. Please feel free to contact myself or a colleague.

4. Jeffrey Scott Drabin

Answered . I agree with other counsel in this matter. However, one thing you may wish to explore is if the other parent was on aid in KS and if some of the $35K you owe is assigned to KS. If there are assigned arrears, you will need to contact KS to see if they have a program to compromise those arrears.