Child support and lottery winnings

Baltimore, MD |

Three Questions:

Lets say I hit the lotto for millions of dollars, child support has already been establish and im up to date on my child support.
In Maryland would I have to report that Ive won a large sum of money to child support agency? Can my chid support be re calculated because I won the lottery? If the mother finds out Ive won a large sum of money can she go to the child support agency and report this?

Lottery winnings are used in determining your child support obligation. The mother would have the right to seek a modification of your child support obligation. If you receive your Lotto winings as a lump sum, the court may impute your windfall as amortized annual income to you from the present until the child reaches the age of 18.

Ok so lets say my mother gave me $500,000 from HER lottery winnings, does montary gifts reported also?

Stewart Andrew Sutton

Stewart Andrew Sutton

The Court has the discretion to include gifts as income in determining your child support obligation: (4) Based on the circumstances of the case, the court may consider the following items as actual income: (i) severance pay; (ii) capital gains; (iii) gifts; or (iv) prizes.

But child support has already been establised, would the courts bring the parties back into court if 1 party receives a large sum of money to adjust the child support?

Stewart Andrew Sutton

Stewart Andrew Sutton

If the mother of the child discovered you had received $500,000 as winnings from the lottery or as a gift from your mother, she would mostly likely petition the court for a modification in child support based upon a material change in circumstances.

Ok but im not REQUIRED to report this to the child support agency is my question?

So if she never finds out and i dont tell her thats perfectly legal?

Anyone??

Child support topics