Skip to main content

Child support and half of medical payments

New York, NY |

I had to buy new glasses for my daughter since she broke them and there was no replacement plan . Can I charge half of the cost to my ex if she is responsible for half of reimbursed medical expenses ? I bought my daughter $ 300 glasses .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Most likely this should be answered in your divorce agreement, most times uninsured medicals are either shared equally or the recipient spouse is responsible for the first x amount then they are divided. If there is no provision, ask for half if not go to court as this will come up again. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Depends on the wording of the child support order if he responsible for his share of the unreimbursed. If he is responsible for the unreimbursed and he does not pay, then file a motion for enforcement.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


If there was an agreement to that effect, then the answer is yes. Sometimes the agreements have those expenses incurred by the custodial parent, however. I thus encourage you to bring the agreement & priors orders/judgments into a NYC Child Support lawyer for him/her to review at a consultation.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.



Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer