Skip to main content

Child support

Elkton, MD |

Where can I go and file for child support in Maryland? I live in Cecil County.

Attorney Answers 1


You can file in either the county where you reside, or the county where the defendant resides. Generally speaking, I encourage clients to file in their own county, for convenience sake. You may wish to contact the Office of the State's Attorney for Cecil County (try googling it, as many now have webpages). Often in small counties the SAO handles child support enforcement and does so on your behalf at no cost to you. I believe there may be a nominal fee ($25.00 - $50.00) paid as a on-time charge to you for opening an account. I hope this helps. Good luck!

This advice does not/is not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. This advice is general in nature, and is naturally limited in scope and applicability to the limited factual scenario presented in your question. This advice should not be relied upon by you and you should take no action as a result of this advice unless and until you have met with the advising attorney and apprised her of all pertinent facts associated with your inquiry. You should immediately consult with a licensed attorney for advice specific to your case. Moreover, as reasonable minds often disagree, you may find that advice rendered to you based upon your circumstances may vary based upon the opinion(s)/experience and other intangible factor(s) comprising the experience and knowlege of the advising attorney. You are, therefore, encouraged to seek another opinion. Reliance on the advice given in this answer is entirely at your own risk, and you specifically agree that there shall be no liability whatsoever or redress for you, of any sort, for any damages or other cause(s) of action against the advising attorney.

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics