Child support

Newnan, GA |

Child support was finally finalized a couple of weeks ago. The award amount was only 376 total for both of my kids. I'm currently not working and a full time student but the bio father is a truck driver and makes 700-900 a week being paid by the mile. I received a copy of the paperwork that was filed and it shows that the father was put into a minimum wage calculation, when I know in fact he makes well over minimum wage. When I first applied for support in July, he was unemployed, but that changed a month later. It seems as if his job never updated even though I updated it myself of his new job and the amount he makes. I called the bio father out about his minimum wage and he states that that's not his problem that they put it under as minimum wage. What can I do to change this?

You may not be able to for two years. This is why you consult a lawyer BEFOREhand, and also atend hearings, not wait for papers in the mail. Even when you decide to let the state pursue support, it is ESSENTIAL that YOU go to every hearing.

In some cases, a court order can be subject to appeal or a motion for new trial/reconsideration, so you see a lawyer Monday, see if you're in the 30 day window where this MAY be possible, and do what the lawyer recommends. Once you get out of that 30 day window, you're likely stuck.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Thank you, I was actually at the hearing. The bio father got called back and signed the paperwork while I sat there an extra 2 hours waiting to hear from someone. So I got up myself and asked what was going on, that's when the a lady pulled me aside and told me the amount awarded and walked off. I've never dealt with child support before, but I thought I was suppose to at least be in the same room and have a say in and get the paperwork on the same day. The court date was the 16th.

I even signed in to show that I was there waiting. They literally had 50 plus people in one court room taking care of the child support all at once while they call you back one by one. But I was never called when they called the bio father.

You should speak with a family law attorney ASAP. From the sound of it, it seems like you will have to modify but you should speak with a local family law attorney to discuss the details of the procedure that you went through.