Child support

Asked over 1 year ago - Newnan, GA

Child support was finally finalized a couple of weeks ago. The award amount was only 376 total for both of my kids. I'm currently not working and a full time student but the bio father is a truck driver and makes 700-900 a week being paid by the mile. I received a copy of the paperwork that was filed and it shows that the father was put into a minimum wage calculation, when I know in fact he makes well over minimum wage. When I first applied for support in July, he was unemployed, but that changed a month later. It seems as if his job never updated even though I updated it myself of his new job and the amount he makes. I called the bio father out about his minimum wage and he states that that's not his problem that they put it under as minimum wage. What can I do to change this?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You may not be able to for two years. This is why you consult a lawyer BEFOREhand, and also atend hearings, not wait for papers in the mail. Even when you decide to let the state pursue support, it is ESSENTIAL that YOU go to every hearing.

    In some cases, a court order can be subject to appeal or a motion for new trial/reconsideration, so you see a lawyer Monday, see if you're in the 30 day window where this MAY be possible, and do what the lawyer recommends. Once you get out of that 30 day window, you're likely stuck.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  2. Emily Su-Hwa Yu

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You should speak with a family law attorney ASAP. From the sound of it, it seems like you will have to modify but you should speak with a local family law attorney to discuss the details of the procedure that you went through.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,697 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,697 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering