Skip to main content

Child Support

Oakland, CA |

how to apply for

Attorney Answers 3


Go to your nearest Department of Child Support Services offices and apply there.

Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


The first consideration is were you married to the father, and if not, did you petition the court to establish paternity? On that basis, a Motion needs to be filed to establish child support and for a determination of an appropriate parenting plan. You need to hire a lawyer and file a Motion to obtain said support or request assistance from the Family Law Division of the District Attorney's Office.

i hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


First start by talking to the Alameda County department of child support services.
If you cannot help you, and you cannot afford a private attorney contact and the Alaeda county volunteer attorney program. If you do not qualify for those or they cannot help you, contact my office we are a nonprofit that charges on a sliding scale based on income and family size.

This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for a review of your specific facts and documents. My firm is All for the Family Legal Clinic, Inc. a nonprofit public benefit corporation that charges on a sliding scale based on income and family size. For a consultation contact us 510-999-7732 or at our website

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics