Child Support; He is not working per say or is getting pay by cash to avoid paying child support. Can that be fought against?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

Child support for my sister's two children 8 and 12. since 2 years of age for both. Is there anything that can be done to receive child support owed from him?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he was ordered by a court to pay child support & has not, then he is in contempt of a court's order.
    Your sister needs to hire an attorney & file a lawsuit against him. He will be ordered to pay & if he does not, he can go to jail. Plus, he might be ordered to pay all or part of her attorney's fees since he has not paid. Look on this website & hire a tough, smart attorney. Contempt is technical so you cannot do it yourself.

  2. James Kendall Hunt

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes. It is presumed that a non-custodial parent is able to earn minimum wage for a 40 hour work week. This is rebuttable, however, depending on the circumstances of that parent. If a non-custodial parent is working a "cash Job", an experienced family law attorney may be discover that parent's actual income through a variety of methods.

  3. Brian Heath Crockett

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Of course, but its not something you will probably be able to do by yourself. If you need assistance contact someone on this site. Don't let your sister sit on her rights. Any questions let me know.

    Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Gail A Balser

Not All Debts are Dischargeable

Not All Debts are Dischargeable Before filing for bankruptcy, it is important for debtors to understand that not all types of debt are eligible for discharge in bankruptcy. These debts... more

    Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

    Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


    Ask now

    25,334 answers this week

    3,001 attorneys answering

    Ask a Lawyer

    Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

    • It's FREE
    • It's easy
    • It's anonymous

    25,334 answers this week

    3,001 attorneys answering