Skip to main content

Child support.

Brooklyn, NY |

Hi.My name is Maria I live in Brooklyn NY I am 17 eyars and 8 month old my DOB Jan 29 and I am a 2 months pregnant.I am full time student .I don't have a job my boyfriend is 17 years old and he don't have job too.I cant live in my moms family because she dont love my boyfriend.I love my boyfriend family and I want move to his home. Who must support me and my baby . My parents or my boyfriend parents????

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Your parents are obligated to support you. However, if you refuse to abide by their house rules and or otherwise fail to respect their parental authority, they may claim that you have emancipated yourself and they are no longer obligated to provide support. Your mother doesn't have to love your boyfriend for you to live with her. You're going to need the emotional and financial support of both families.

    I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

  2. Bad move getting pregnant. The 17 year old owes you a duty of support when the baby arrives. Your parents will allege you moved out and are independent should you decide to sue them for child support. Child support is not the cure for bad planning and in your case will drive a deeper wedge between you and your parents.

    Don't misunderstand me. I am not moralizing. I am explaining the state of the law which will not help you one bit.

    Good luck.

  3. Your boyfriend is obligated to contribute to the support of your child, even if jobless. Your parents have an obligation to support you, not their grandchild, unless you are emancipated. Your parents would probably have to consent to your moving to "his" home (do you mean his parents' home?).

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  4. Your parents are obligated to support you until age 21 or emancipation, whichever occurs first. Your boyfriend's parents are obligated to support him until age 21 or emancipation, whichever occurs first. You and the baby's legal father are obligated to contribute to the support of the child until the child reaches age 21 or emancipation, whichever occurs first. If you are not married to the child's father, he may not be considered the baby's legal father unless you both sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.