Child Support - Downward Modification

Asked 10 months ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

The father of my son filed to lower child support in Broward County FL the Judge approved it based on whatever documents he showed; I did not see what he shows and I did not send any proof of income in the Judge just went based on what I said and did even review his documents which I am shocked considering he gambles ton of money that I sent prrof of and he is out on bond for money laundering for a pain clinic hes a part of that was closed by the State. He has upgraded his home and whta he says he makes cannot be true considering his bills and life style. The Judge approved it Nov 7th, and I have to pay back retro pay $1,200 from time he filed. What can I do? Is there much I can do now? We both went to court with no attorneys,

WOuld the best thing to do is wait until he files his taxes this year and file a modification at that time making him prove his documents and of course I would hire an attorney this time.

1. Jordan Gerber

7

Answered . If you feel you did not get a fair chance to present evidence you can file a Notice of Rehearing within ten days of the order. You should have also gotten an opportunity to review the documents your ex submitted.

2. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

3

Answered . I agree you should have seen the evidence that he was presenting. Did you ask for a copy? Did you present evidence of his bills and lifestyle? You should talk to an attorney and see if there are legitimate grounds for a rehearing. Remember, that a motion for rehearing doesn't entitle you to a second bite of the apple.

3. Carin Manders Constantine

3

Answered . I agree that a Notice of Rehearing is all you can do short of an appeal.

4. Hernan Hernandez

Pro

Answered . You should file a motion for rehearing within ten days of the ruling by the Judge. You certainly were entitled to receive, review and address any documentation the court utilized or relied upon to render any ruling. Under the facts you provided it seems as if the Court did not consider or give weight to the evidence of your ex expenses or lifestyle to address if a downward modification was justified. You should try to address this matter with a family law attorney.