Child resides in USA with mother - legal father lives in Ukraine. What laws will adhere for child support?

Asked over 4 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

Child and mother citizens of USA, father reside in USA for 8 years, but left back in Ukraine 1 year ago. Since that no envolvment in child^s life. Can I get a full custody?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Karen Ann Ulmer


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can file for child support where child lives or father lives or works. I suggest where the child lives, however, if father is out of the country and does not pay, it may be very difficult to enforce an order. As for custody, you can file for custody where the child resides and if you have been caring for the child the court will likely make the existing custody arrangements an order of the court. If the child goes out of the country and the Ukraine is not part of the Hague Convention, the order on custody may carry little to no weight. It is best to get an order that does not allow the child to travel out of the country.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,605 answers this week

3,231 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,605 answers this week

3,231 attorneys answering