Child porn

Asked over 2 years ago - 99345

I am an immigrant in the US. I had been watching pornography on my country's porn sites for a while until I realized that my country does not have law about age of actors and actresses in the videos. Would I be in trouble with us law?

I destroyed my laptop, moved to other place and stopped going to those websites for 5 months already. Would they be able to charge against me if I have nothing illegal stored in my house? Can they use my ip internet history to charge against me?

Please help me! I am really concerned now.

1. Christopher A Swaby

2

Answered . Viewing child pornography in the United States is against the law, regardless of the point of origin of the material. If law enforcement could prove that you accessed the sites knowing that the people shown engaging in sexual activity were minors, you could be charged. But it would have to be proven that the people in the videos were in fact minors, not just young looking.

It may be that the sites you visited were sites monitored in some way by US law enforcement but it seems unlikely that you would be charged: there is no hardware that could be examined; there are no depictions to be seized, there is no proof that you were the only person with access to the computer during that time period and there has been no further illegal activity. That having been said, if you are contacted by law enforcement, do not make any statements and ask for a lawyer immediately.