Child Molestation Charges....Register as a Sex Offender....Question?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was told that a sex offender can "un-register" in 6 yrs if he/she shows good conduct, is this true?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Stephen Troy Allen

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are forms to fill out, hoops to jump through.. It is not a guarantee and depends on the charges. In some cases, yes it is possible. However, you need to speak to an attorney to see if the charge is one that qualifies. Good luck.

  2. Victoria L Clemans


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In California, registration as a sex offender is for lifetime. For some offenses, a person can apply to be relieved from this requirement via certificate of rehabilitation or pardon.

    This is a general statement regarding law and facts and should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship... more
  3. Michael Kevin Cernyar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not for good conduct. But, there are factors that are favorable to having the registration removed, or at least excluded from the Megan's Law website. You can apply for such removal/exclusion with the DOJ. However, you must continue to register until the DOJ grants the removal/exclusion. Many attorneys offer a free consultation to discuss further and to assist you with the application to the DOJ. I wish you the best.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice... more
  4. Maria Cavalluzzi

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No.

  5. Catherine Caroline Forbes

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . you should contact the appellate district court project in your county and ask if they can possibly help you in any way some of these appellate court projects are filing writ of habeas corpus or other bits of relief for registered sex offenders you can also write to the DOJ and request that you not have to register anymore and you can also retain an attorney to file some kind of writ for you I don't specialize in those but I know that umm people are filing Ritz and receiving some relief especially with regard to the requirement to register which Austin renders people homeless so that they're actually the whereabouts are actually unknown because they're sleeping under a bridge or in the shelter and so then they're homeless and nobody knows where they are which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the law so um some appellate court projects are having luck with getting relief from that

    This is not legal advice

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,387 answers this week

3,436 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,387 answers this week

3,436 attorneys answering