Child Molestation Charges....Register as a Sex Offender....Question?

Asked 8 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was told that a sex offender can "un-register" in 6 yrs if he/she shows good conduct, is this true?

1. Stephen Troy Allen

9

Answered . There are forms to fill out, hoops to jump through.. It is not a guarantee and depends on the charges. In some cases, yes it is possible. However, you need to speak to an attorney to see if the charge is one that qualifies. Good luck.

2. Victoria L Clemans

Pro

9

Answered . In California, registration as a sex offender is for lifetime. For some offenses, a person can apply to be relieved from this requirement via certificate of rehabilitation or pardon.

3. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

8

Answered . Not for good conduct. But, there are factors that are favorable to having the registration removed, or at least excluded from the Megan's Law website. You can apply for such removal/exclusion with the DOJ. However, you must continue to register until the DOJ grants the removal/exclusion. Many attorneys offer a free consultation to discuss further and to assist you with the application to the DOJ. I wish you the best.

4. Maria Cavalluzzi

7

Answered . No.

5. Catherine Caroline Forbes

Pro

3

Answered . you should contact the appellate district court project in your county and ask if they can possibly help you in any way some of these appellate court projects are filing writ of habeas corpus or other bits of relief for registered sex offenders you can also write to the DOJ and request that you not have to register anymore and you can also retain an attorney to file some kind of writ for you I don't specialize in those but I know that umm people are filing Ritz and receiving some relief especially with regard to the requirement to register which Austin renders people homeless so that they're actually the whereabouts are actually unknown because they're sleeping under a bridge or in the shelter and so then they're homeless and nobody knows where they are which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the law so um some appellate court projects are having luck with getting relief from that

This is not legal advice